Looming Released

My latest game, Looming, is up at Newgrounds. Looming is a game about… well.

This game is about two lovers named January and September.
No, wait; it’s about a group of people who don’t believe in the sky.
No, it’s about a pantheon of scientific disciplines.
Or maybe it’s about an ancient beast who knew exactly when it was going to die, and how.

It’s about a place. A place called Looming.

Play Looming on Newgrounds.

This is an exploration game where you collect artifacts in a strange place. It has multiple endings, with a little bonus if you find them all. It’s at least partly an exercise in storytelling after the fact: storytelling by use of clues, letters, and remnants rather than events. It’s also an homage to the gorgeous use of 1-bit color games for the early Macintosh and other black-and-white systems… although I cheat.

bookmark bookmark bookmark bookmark bookmark bookmark

Tags: , ,

Related Posts:

81 Comments

1. Ezra on 05.07.2010 at 17:09 (Reply)

Fun. I seem to have all endings save the last, but my log of mysteries is empty so I’m not sure what else to do.

The interface is lovely and consistent for all things I’ve tried save the lampposts. It was confusing that I couldn’t press X whenever I saw it, but only when standing in front of them; it was also confusing that I had to hold X, even though elsewhere in the game X is always pressed, not held.

1. Gregory Weir on 05.07.2010 at 17:16 (Reply)

The final ending is the most difficult, and requires a bit of thoroughness; there are no real clues as to where to get started. I’ll say this: find some places that are significant, but far away from anything else. Chances are you’ve never been to these places, but they are easy to find once you think to go to them.

1. Ezra on 05.07.2010 at 18:59 (Reply)

By the power of that hint I got it, but I don’t think it’s fair. There should be some clue beyond an unfilled circle that that’s something I’d want to do. It’s contrary to the logic of the game, which elsewhere does a lovely job of leading me places.

And I’d still like the interface for the lampposts improved.

1. Gregory Weir on 05.07.2010 at 19:46 (Reply)

The final ending is a bit of a reward for thoroughness, as well as an encouragement for people who get so frustrated that they begin a systematic traversal. I had hope that those who followed the signpost scavenger hunt would also run across a clue for the final ending.

How would you suggest the lamppost interface be improved?

1. Ezra on 06.07.2010 at 11:42 (Reply) (Comments won't nest below this level)

The first thing I’d change about the lampposts is to have them react to X whenever X is displayed over them. I was only able to get them to react when standing directly in front, even though X is displayed from all sides.

The second thing I’d change about the lampposts is to have them transition between steps of, oh, one-sixteenth of a circle. When a player press the button, even if they don’t hold it, they should see what the button does there. You could have the lampposts move between the steps as smoothly as they currently move.

2. Terry on 05.07.2010 at 17:22 (Reply)

I’ve been playing for over an hour, and though I’ll return to Looming another day I think I’ve hit a wall for now. I have eight of the endings and I think I’ve done everything I can in the world; the only thing I can’t make sense of is the meaning of the shattered diagram.

3. CarvalhoPeninsula on 05.07.2010 at 17:31 (Reply)

I’m having a little trouble with the shattered diagram too. There are some objects with so far have had no significance, but I’m not sure how/whether these correspond with the shapes on the diagram.

1. Terry on 05.07.2010 at 17:39 (Reply)

I eventually worked this out with a hint from Gregory on twitter: http://twitter.com/GregoryWeir/status/17820949426

4. TheeForsakenOne on 05.07.2010 at 19:37 (Reply)

I’ve found a few places that are out of the way and stand out but I still can’t figure out how to get the final ending. I’ve got all the other ones and it’s really frustrating. D: I’ve managed to get all the endings for your other games but this one just isn’t clicking.

5. Jon O on 05.07.2010 at 20:09 (Reply)

I’ve managed to find the four hidden posts for the last challenge (at least I think it’s for the last challenge, but I can’t make heads or tails of the “stars”….

6. TheeForsakenOne on 05.07.2010 at 20:31 (Reply)

Found the locations you were hinting at (If there’s only four of them. I can’t believe I missed them!), but now I’m really not sure what I’m supposed to do. :S

7. TheeForsakenOne on 05.07.2010 at 20:33 (Reply)

Nevermind I just realised what the signs meant. I’m an idiot. > < Sorry for posting uselessly. D:

8. Teshla on 06.07.2010 at 04:52 (Reply)

Such a great game. I couldn’t quit until I found all the endings. Got all the medals. The difficulty factor was great, there wasn’t a single moment when I thought of searching for a walkthrough. Wonderful atmosphere, interesting story. Interesting cultures of the Lorem and the Seecha. They heavily maginfy the properties of our cultures. And after seeing ourseleves through that magnifying glass we can give a thought about what we are.

9. Jonas on 06.07.2010 at 05:45 (Reply)

This is one great game.

10. Jonathan Whiting on 06.07.2010 at 08:11 (Reply)

Whilst I adore the the way you’ve crafted so much atmosphere into such a bleak environment I didn’t appreciate the pacing.

After seeing a couple of endings in the first <5 minutes of play, I then had to spend another 35 minutes ambling around aimlessly looking for increasingly hard to find items that never seemed to resolve into complete sets, before anything different happened.. By the end of that (and of my lunch-break) my patience was entirely spent, and whilst I'd love to see the other endings I don't imagine I'll be coming back to this.

11. Aziz on 06.07.2010 at 09:08 (Reply)

I played your game today. I liked the graphical juiciness of it. It reminded me a bit of Manhole on the macintosh, which is great, because games with a strong surreal quality to them are hard to come by these days.

I kind of want to go back to Looming… in the vain hope that I’ll find something else to remember.

1. Ezra on 06.07.2010 at 11:48 (Reply)

Manhole isn’t hard to come by, though! Good Old Games carries it.

1. Aziz on 06.07.2010 at 15:31 (Reply)

Hmm. Looking at the updated version, it doesn’t seem like it’s the same experience. I liked it better black & white. :) It feels refreshing when games leave more to the imagination. I think that’s one reason why I found Looming so refreshing; the minimal sound effects especially help set the mood. I actually went back to play it just to walk around. :D

Keep up the good work Gregory!

12. ann on 06.07.2010 at 09:21 (Reply)

Hi guys!
    Could you be more specific and give some hints? Have collected all the items and found most of the portals. Still miss n°2, 8 and 9. I don’t know what to do anymore! Found a lot of hidden spots but nothing very helpful!

1. Gregory Weir on 06.07.2010 at 09:25 (Reply)

More clear hints: Number 2 is at the end of the path that threads through Looming. EDIT: Number 2 actually requires you to enter the same portal as number 1, but to have spent at least a minute in Looming. Number 8 requires that you find all of a series of hidden signposts; the start of this path is a visible signpost just off of the path I just mentioned. Number 9 requires that you find some hidden clues as far away from everything else as possible; if you’ve gotten ending number 7, you’ll know what to do with these clues.

13. ann on 06.07.2010 at 09:31 (Reply)

Oh I found another one (with the star clue)! Now I can focus on number 2 and 9.
    Some help please?

14. ann on 06.07.2010 at 09:34 (Reply)

Thank you Gregory, i’m working on it!
    Great game by the way even if my eyes start to cry a little bit (it’s been an hour that I’m concentrated on this black screen!)

15. ann on 06.07.2010 at 09:42 (Reply)

If I can suggest something : maybe the portals could be numbered so we can easily remember which is which? Thanks for the tips even if I haven’t figured it out yet!

16. ann on 06.07.2010 at 10:24 (Reply)

Okay I’m still missing number two!! Followed the path as you suggest but the portal I’m leading to is not the good one: after I took this one, I begin the game with a still black n°2.
    Any idea??

1. Gregory Weir on 06.07.2010 at 10:38 (Reply)

My apologies; I had the wrong number. 2 uses the same portal as 1, but occurs when you’ve been in Looming for a while. Spend a minute or two in Looming, then enter the portal near the beginning.

17. Josh on 06.07.2010 at 10:52 (Reply)

Well done Gregory, this game is a work of art.

18. ann on 06.07.2010 at 10:52 (Reply)

Hurrah! Thanks to you I just finished it! It was a very pleasant game (despite some trouble with orientation at first) and i found the note section at the end very interesting!
    For your next game, may I suggest to add a map (which can be discover as any other item) and maybe something to help the little guy to run faster (when you have to cross the entire screen it’s a little bit long)!
    Thank you anyway, it was great!

19. hangar on 06.07.2010 at 10:57 (Reply)

Gotten all of them but number 2 after reading the spoiler for number 9. (I had found one of the clues, but was in the middle of something and forgot about it.) If number 2 is at the end of the path, does it end with “my feet are tired”? If so, I think the circle might be bugged.

1. Gregory Weir on 06.07.2010 at 11:43 (Reply)

My apologies; number 2 is not at the end of the path. It is the same portal as number 1, but requires you to spend at least a minute in Looming.

20. Morlon on 06.07.2010 at 11:14 (Reply)

Hey man i’ve been playing this for an hour or so but I just can’t find bead IV! It’s a really great game for sure but I’m not able to beat it :/

1. Gregory Weir on 06.07.2010 at 11:45 (Reply)

Bead IV is near Seecha Rod IV, at the Oarbor trap to the southwest of the lampposts.

21. Grace on 06.07.2010 at 11:52 (Reply)

I just finished Looming and thought it was great. I don’t have any criticisms, necessarily, just a couple things that were a little maddening/frustrating about it, which may have been intentional on your part: The prominent but ultimately inconsequential architecture scattered throughout. These, coupled with the diagram, made me think they were the key to getting the 7th ending, as some were in roughly the 4 corners of Looming. I had to get a hint to realize what I should be doing with the diagram. I hadn’t thought of it because I used that method to get the 9th ending, and didn’t think it would be used again (trying to use vague terms to avoid spoilers here).

Anyway, all in all, it was a great game. Please continue making games knowing that they’re thoroughly enjoyed.

22. Andrew F on 06.07.2010 at 12:32 (Reply)

I have to admit that comleting the whole game is very difficult despite the simple gameplay. reaaly fascinating, anyway.

I’m stuck at 9th ending: I just can’t realize what to do after finding the four hidden signposts. I desperately need a clue.

1. Gregory Weir on 06.07.2010 at 12:40 (Reply)

If you’ve gotten all the other endings, you already know how to get the ninth. You can use the clues you’ve gathered and a method from one of the other endings to get the ninth ending.

2. Andrew F on 06.07.2010 at 13:00 (Reply)

Wow, it seemed so simple once I’ve solved it.

By the way, I like the names of the “lithocryptologist” and the “xenopaleontologist” medals. They’re a combination of ancient greek words.

23. mackster on 06.07.2010 at 13:07 (Reply)

I can’t figure out number 8. I’ve gotten all of the other ones. How many sign posts are there? And would the portal be hidden in some way even if I have found all of the signposts?

24. Paraic on 06.07.2010 at 13:30 (Reply)

Aaaaaaaaaaaagh. Got everything except Tally Beat II. Clues?

25. tim on 06.07.2010 at 13:50 (Reply)

please help! I have found all but 1 bone.

26. Joe Larson on 06.07.2010 at 14:00 (Reply)

Great game. Kept me playing until the end. Maybe I’m just really good at this sort of thing, but the only one that I got hung up on was the last one. I loved the notes at the end tho. Great idea that.

27. Andrew F on 06.07.2010 at 14:08 (Reply)

If you have enough patience, you can simply scour the whole Looming by simply going to a corner, reach the opposite wall, going down a little and do the same. It’s like to seed a field.

Oh, and remember to look carefullly for shiny spots. ;)

28. happycarrottop on 06.07.2010 at 14:23 (Reply)

okay found bone 5 and solved ending 6 but still stuck on endings 7 and 9 :(

29. tim on 06.07.2010 at 14:31 (Reply)

where are all the bones?

1. Ettglasjuice on 07.07.2010 at 04:55 (Reply)

How to find the fifth Oarbor Bone (Oarbor Bone 5 / V) wich plauged me for about an hour:

Head east from the starting area until you find a pillar with a hidden signpost south of it. The bone is just slightly to the east of that pillar, it should be visible to you when standing next to the pillar.

30. happycarrottop on 06.07.2010 at 15:08 (Reply)

ahhhhh i’ve got it now. god it always seems so obvious once you get it.

31. Tadashiini on 06.07.2010 at 15:45 (Reply)

I’ve got everything but 9. I read that if I did ending 7 I would know what to do but I am still very lost. Please help?

32. Hozat on 06.07.2010 at 16:55 (Reply)

Very good game! At first I was confused, but I got a lot of the things and it started coming together. The story is very interesting. I love how to two different people people came into Looming, and did completely different things. I would love to complete it, but I am stuck trying to find the fourth bone. I even figured out the ninth ending.
    Any help would be appreciated.

33. Tadashiini on 06.07.2010 at 17:20 (Reply)

AH! I figured it out! I thought and thought and thought and finally came up with the proper solution. Thanks for the useful hints and great game.

34. Wind Lane on 06.07.2010 at 21:21 (Reply)

I’ve gotten all the endings, just having trouble finding the last two medals. The ones I’ve got:

Traveller
    Excavator
    Repeat Visitor
    Archaeologist
    Binary Abacist
    Lithocryptologist
    Lorem Archivist
    Priest of Science
    Seecha Expert
    Xenopaleontologist

Any help getting the last two secret ones would be secret ones would be greatly appreciated.

35. Corey on 06.07.2010 at 22:31 (Reply)

Amazing. Just flat out amazing. It’s very simple yet kind of heartwrenching at the same time. It was an emotional journey through a one-bit (ish) lens.

36. Mike on 06.07.2010 at 22:36 (Reply)

Hey Greg, great job on the game. My only gripe is that having to use the same method to get two endings really threw me off. I found ending 9 before ending 7, which led me to assume that the diagrams couldn’t possibly reference the same objects. I feel as though the game would have been better had one of those two endings been omitted. I’m sure you had a good reason for including both of them, but I felt that it made the game unnecessarily frustrating.

With that said, it was still an incredible game. Keep up the good work.

37. Sean Barrett on 07.07.2010 at 00:44 (Reply)

Did you ever consider making this game in 3D? Given the description of your initial inspiration, and how you wrapped up your 2D vs 3D post in May (“3D games are about place, about architecture”) it seems like 3D would have been a natural aesthetic fit.

1. Gregory Weir on 07.07.2010 at 07:47 (Reply)

I didn’t actually consider making this game in 3D. The quasi-isometric scaling and the very high camera really work best in 3D, and the 1-bit dithered graphics would have been a nightmare to figure out for someone with my limited knowledge in shaders.

1. Sean Barrett on 07.07.2010 at 13:06 (Reply)

Well sure, I don’t think you could have done the 1-bit aesthetic easily in 3D, I just meant the high-level aesthetic goals mentioned as the starting inspiration (giant looming architecture).

Just look at the fan art you just posted, which (naturally, I’d say) switches perspectives to try to achieve that effect more directly.

(If anything, I’d say that the 2D style actually didn’t give me any sense of giant looming architecture. It took me a while before I actually realized the objects were “faux 3D” and could be walked behind, and weren’t just lying on the ground, despite the shadows.)

Anyway, I didn’t actually mean this question as a criticism of the game as is, just a curiosness over the choice given the goal.

1. Gregory Weir on 07.07.2010 at 13:11 (Reply)

I didn’t read your comment as criticism. The 2D perspective just seemed the natural choice for this game.

38. agj on 07.07.2010 at 02:29 (Reply)

Quite beautiful. Completed it with no hints; some stuff seemed misleading or confusing, perhaps, but mostly everything was okay.

Main trouble I had was with the second to last hidden signpost: I couldn’t find it with the aid of the tip I’m given by the previous one, and instead I thought it referred to the last one, so for a while I thought I’d found them all, yet there was no portal. I ended up finding it by chance, though. I was quite anticipating that reveal.

I expected more climactic moments once ‘secrets’ are ‘revealed’, but actually this is better. We’re not Indiana Jones.

39. [...] así, tanto en el blog del autor, como en Jayisgames, los jugadores han destripado a fondo el juego, de forma que es relativamente [...]

40. Jasper Byrne on 07.07.2010 at 07:34 (Reply)

Was the name and font used intentionally referencing Loom, or was it just a coincidence?

I enjoyed it a lot, but sort of wished that some of the long walks were punctuated with more points of interest – for example, the birds were cool, and I guess more stuff like that and the odd bit of unique non-functional scenery would keep me entertained.

1. Gregory Weir on 07.07.2010 at 07:48 (Reply)

Loom was certainly in my thoughts while making the game, but the name arose independently, and the font was chosen according to what I preferred for the game.

41. Krallja on 07.07.2010 at 10:25 (Reply)

Hey Greg, Looming is today’s “Morning Distraction” on thedailywh.at!
    Nice work:

1. Gregory Weir on 07.07.2010 at 11:04 (Reply)

Cool, thanks!

42. Jasper Byrne on 07.07.2010 at 10:26 (Reply)

Ah just checked it and actually they used a fully upper-case font: I certainly wasn’t accusing you of plagiarism – I hope you don’t think that – just that it may have been a (possibly subconscious) homage.

Anyway, great work and I’ll definitely get round to finishing it over my next few lunch breaks.

1. Gregory Weir on 07.07.2010 at 11:03 (Reply)

No worries! I didn’t think you were accusing. :)

43. [...] method of games were brought into sharp focus this week when I played a great flash game, called Looming. Looming tells a vague story about a person who has found a portal into a strange world and is [...]

44. Andrew Geiger on 08.07.2010 at 01:31 (Reply)

Excellent game, and I agree that it’s your most polished to date. I’m afraid I resorted to hints, as I was/am very tired, needed to get up early, and couldn’t just walk away from it (nor without some accolades here). Great story though. The PC has a dutiful passion for exploring that felt very much like the PC in Myst.

The setting is fantastic, and I’m struck by how well the 1-bit setup worked. The instructions and clues are very well p[l]aced, save for the blasted first hidden sign post (spotted by accident early on before I realized I ought to pay attention to those – at the time I was chasing the moving shadow, hoping for a colossus or some flying monster). Also, the white “X” on the light houses threw me off; I suppose making them flash red and green with yellow arrows would have been slightly out of place, though.

The only real stylistic gripe I have is that I kept thinking of Loom, how it wasn’t at all like Loom, and then about the blasted and unhelpful pirate wearing the button “Ask me about LOOM” (I thought of him a few times when I got lost on the final first hidden pillar).

45. Archaites on 08.07.2010 at 02:02 (Reply)

I have found all the endings but 7 I just cant seem to find it, Anyone have a hint for me?

46. DavidLS on 08.07.2010 at 03:09 (Reply)

Can’t get ending nine. You say that I shall do like in ending 7 but can’t rember that.

47. EveL on 08.07.2010 at 11:59 (Reply)

I cannot for the life of me find the signpost between 2 gears. I have all endings but the 7th because of this. D:

I very much enjoyed the game. It seemed much more of a story to me, and I understand why some people might be confused or not like it, but I certainly did.

48. Serge on 08.07.2010 at 12:18 (Reply)

I think my game’s bugged– I have found every single ending, but I still can’t find the last Seecha rod. I looked for it for hours upon hours, resorting to combing the entire landscape to cover as much ground as I could. However, I still can’t find it. Could someone give me a hint?

As for the game itself – excellent game. It reminds me of another game called The Void, a Russian game translated into English. It uses a similar style of storytelling where nothing is really revealed as-is: everything is implied. Excellent game, the fact that I spent hours tediously searching every pixel for that last Seecha rod should be self-demonstrating of how much I love this. :)

49. Jashiin on 08.07.2010 at 15:22 (Reply)

This is a terrific game. Found it at the indiegames.com blog and simply had to comment on how wonderful it was. My only problem with it was that after I got all the endings, I still wanted more – maybe some more items unrelated to the main story, or a little passage through the hedge leading to some more ruins, some landscape details, etc. But I guess a sequel isn’t really possible, given that the game is pretty much self-sufficient, and neither is another game just like Looming, since repeating oneself isn’t fun… eh. Anyway, thank you for making Looming, and I’ll be looking forward to more games by you :)

50. Lindsey on 08.07.2010 at 20:14 (Reply)

I like exploration a whole lot, so I’ve been enjoying this. Also struck me as a bit Lovecraftian, was that intentional?

But I’ve got a little problem: I know that I’m meant to turn the lamp posts, but I can’t figure out how. I press “X” and it just says what direction it’s pointing in and doesn’t change… (I’m probably just being dense but still…help?)

1. Gregory Weir on 08.07.2010 at 20:19 (Reply)

Are you holding down the button?

1. Lindsey on 08.07.2010 at 20:24 (Reply)

2. Ezra on 11.07.2010 at 02:19 (Reply)

Are you standing directly south of the lamppost?

51. Andrius on 08.07.2010 at 22:46 (Reply)

A simple but one of the best games I’ve ever played. I’ve discovered the last portal naturally. The last one I’ve found (and the hardest I think) is the one based on the diagram…. I was trying to find paths related to the symbols, I’ve always preached that not everything needs a meaning, sometimes we should just be like the Seecha, things can be solved that way too.

Some questions ( Yes I’m very Lorem ):
    – where are the parts of the diagram from? Who made them?
    – you say Oarbor is dead, and it knew when and how he would die. So what happened to him? The Seecha did not capture him, but got even advice from him. In all this reverie what could have happened in the meantime after both Seecha and Lorem left?
    – will you make a sequel to this game? I’ve really enjoyed it!!!

52. Broian on 09.07.2010 at 15:16 (Reply)

Great little game!!! I did need help with number 2 and the second lighthouse puzzle.

53. Ephira on 10.07.2010 at 16:14 (Reply)

I read the other comments but I just can’t find the number 8. I think I found all of the signposts…but then, how come I can’t find the portal?
    Besides that, I really appreciate this game : the mood, the easy controls, the story, the messages…everything^^
    Thanks a lot for this game ;)

54. Daniel Canelhas on 14.07.2010 at 15:16 (Reply)

Awesome little game! It reminds me of a book I read by Haruki Murakami, called Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World. I really like how you managed to imply a lot of depth with relatively few pieces of information about the different cultures.

Nice!

55. LinLin on 15.07.2010 at 02:12 (Reply)

^^^I agree about the Hardboiled Wonderland feel to the game. There’s a kind of wistful feeling that I get reading his novels that I usually end up getting while playing your games, Greg. It’s very… refreshing, maybe, but that might not be the right word.

Just wanted to say that I REALLY loved this game. I’m a big fan of more exploration-oriented games like Myst and Knytt, especially ones that have a lot of secrets to find, so this was extremely enjoyable. I felt like most of the puzzles were exactly the right amount of difficulty, too, which was nice. My only frustration was that I found the third-to-last hidden signpost first, followed by the last, so I was having a bit of a time trying to find the earlier ones… By the time I found the first one I’d seen nearly all of them. Nothing that was a problem with the game itself, I just felt silly stumbling into clues I apparently shouldn’t have found yet.

Also, as someone who took to finding the boundaries of the world before exploring the paths, I really appreciated the 9th ending. :)

56. PCG|Robert on 15.07.2010 at 21:24 (Reply)

Hey Gregory, couldn’t find an email. Just wanted to say I love the game and we’ve just done a story on pcgamer.com about it.

1. Gregory Weir on 15.07.2010 at 22:50 (Reply)

Thanks for letting me know, and for doing the story! I’ve made my e-mail more obvious, since I’ve gotten several requests to make it easier to find.

57. Toby on 20.08.2010 at 21:17 (Reply)

Whewww. That last ending was a tricky one…

It required me to check hints/walkthrough; in an attempt to save my poor fingerbones while figuring out the world I hadn’t gone out to the very corners of the map, but stopped once the fences were in sight. A clue (say a dot-cluster) somehwere near at least one of the corners would have been very, very helpful. And once I found those signposts, I searched for more internet help for ages and ages (at least half an hour), certain I was using the info from the posts wrongly, but it turns out that one of the signposts (ironically the one that looked like the most perfect angle) was one tiny button-press off from 90deg E.

I agree with above commenters that the lightposts/stars (assuming that Jan/Sept or Lorem called them the stars? since the Seecha never saw them… hm) need revision: one, a way to recognise increments of the angles (and thus when they are angled correctly), and two, for the X button to work whenever the X prompt shows up, not just directly south. I had some problems with this in other places, but the lightposts were by far the most frustrating. Using the lightposts for two different ending solutions could also be handled a bit better as some have noted, maybe in terms of message wording, say some sort of clue to indicate that it’s the *same* posts.

I got kinda confused the first time I jumped through a portal and found myself back at the beginning; I worried I’d ended my game by accident. Checking inventory reassured me – but it took me a very very long time (and another hint check) to realise that while the items and locations stayed discovered, the hidden signposts DIDN’T, and that’s why the portal south of the final one was missing. Numbering the signposts would also have helped for those of us who found them out of order (and would work well I think given that the inventory items are also all numbered).

HOWEVER, concrit & grumbles aside,
    This was an intriguing and enjoyable game, both relaxing and (mentally) stimulating. Even when I got frustrated or confused I kept at it to figure it out; I wanted to see where it went. Great storyline evolution. I like the minimalist (but not mindnumbingly repetitive) sound and I liked even better to learn it was all home-grown! The 1bit ah, colourscheme, was great and managed to tickle the nostalgia bones without overshadowing the newness/uniqueness of the game. Paths (with the exception of those pesky corner posts) were well-handled, the subtle object twinkle was perfect, and I liked the little bug(?) creatures and their little noise. The Jan/Sept (and I like the name choices, generated much thought for me) dialogue was compelling, not overdone. All in all, compelling and not overdone. An enjoyable use of an evening, will recommend!

Well done. :)

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.